Advancing Gender in The Environment: Gender in Fisheries—A Sea of Opportunities
Produced by USAID’s Office of Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GenDev), USAID’s Office of Forestry and Biodiversity (FAB), and the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), this guide provides an overview of the unique roles and contributions women make in the wild-caught fisheries sector. The guide also explains how persistent gender inequalities limit women’s economic empowerment, and increased risks of gender-based violence negatively impact the potential of women to thrive and contribute towards strong economies.
The guide summarizes research on the intersection of gender and wild-caught fisheries, exploring the ways in which fisheries offer important entry points to enhance gender equality and women’s economic empowerment while also contributing to more effective interventions and more sustainable outcomes.
Development practitioners can use the guide to access the latest evidence on gender empowerment and sustainable fisheries management. Those practitioners working in other fields can find tools and resources to conduct gender analyses; design strategic interventions to strengthen program design and implementation through the development of comprehensive gender action plans; and learn more about how to develop results chains to help programs define goals and refine assumptions.
- MULTI-SBC: The Programmatic Aid for Multi-Sectoral Integration of SBC for FP Practitioners
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene: 10 Reasons WASH is a Pathway to Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women and Girls
- The Behavior Change Framework
- Designing and Implementing Integrated Approaches to Population, Health and Environment (PHE): Training Materials
- Population, Health, and Environment Basics
- PHE Field Implementation: A Simple PHE Resource Guide/Compendium for Practitioners
- Healthy People, Healthy Ecosystems: A Manual on Integrating Health and Family Planning into Conservation Projects
- Integrating Population, Health, and Environment Projects: A Programming Manual
- Integrating Family Planning into Other Development Sectors
- GESI Toolkit
June 25, 2019