Gender Analysis Toolkit for Health Systems
This toolkit is a practical guide for public health professionals seeking to understand how gender can impact health outcomes, both through service delivery and access to information and care. Its primary focus is sexual, reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health.
The purpose of the Gender Analysis Toolkit is to provide research questions to guide data collection when performing a project-level gender analysis.
The Toolkit provides illustrative questions related to the five domains described in USAID’s Automated Directive System 205, which are:
- Laws, regulations, and institutional practices
- Cultural norms and beliefs
- Gender roles, responsibilities, and time use
- Access to and control over assets and resources
- Patterns of power and decision-making
The tool presents illustrative general and health area-specific questions organized in matrices related to different levels of the health system.
Last modified: July 4, 2019