How-To Guide for a Social Network Diffusion Intervention to Overcome Social Barriers to Family Planning
The Tékponon Jikuagou in Benin developed and tested a scalable package of social network activities to engage men and women in discussion and reflection about unmet need for family planning. The package worked with and through influential and connected network actors who may be more effective in diffusing new ideas and mobilizing public dialogue than formal leaders or health workers alone.
Based on the successful pilot that demonstrated the effectiveness of the approach, this How-To Guide provides detailed instructions for organizations that wish to offer the package. The social network intervention can be used as a stand-alone initiative or as part of ongoing health and development programs.
There are sections on:
- Engage Communities in Social Network Mapping
- Catalyze Reflection in Influential Groups
- Encourage Influential Persons to Act
- Create an Enabling Environment with Radio
- Link Family Planning Providers with Influential Groups
- Social Network Diffusion Materials
Last modified: March 25, 2019