It's All One Curriculum: Guidelines and Activities for a Unified Approach to Sexuality, Gender, HIV, and Human Rights Education
Research shows that young people need chances to learn about gender equality and human rights, particularly because these issues affect their sexual lives, and indeed, their happiness. Most sex education programs have lagged in applying these findings. Few sex education curricula address issues of gender and rights in a meaningful way, and few sex or HIV curricula have demonstrated a statistically significant impact either on unintended pregnancy or on sexually transmitted infections. The lesson—which we ignore at adolescents' peril—is that gender equality and human rights are not just lofty goals. Rather, they are key to preventing the spread of HIV and to enabling young people to grow up to enjoy good health, as well as responsible and satisfying sexual lives.
This two-book kit provides the essential elements for developing a rights-based, gender-sensitive, and participatory curriculum for sexuality and HIV education. It includes two books. Book 1 contains Guidelines, with an introduction that includes an evidence-based policy argument for this type of education. It has seven content units (each with Learning Objectives, Key Content, and Points for Reflection), and a final project-based unit (to support advocacy and apply lessons learned), along with 22 fact sheets. Book two contains activities which focus on effective teaching methods - there are 54 sample activities.
- Designing for Behavior Change For Agriculture, Natural Resource Management, Health and Nutrition [Workshop Curriculum]
- Health Literacy: Accurate, Accessible and Actionable Health Information for All
- Guide to Community Mobilization Programming
- Making Health Communication Programs Work
- Social Behavior Change for Family Planning [Curriculum]
- Soap Operas for Social Change to Prevent HIV/AIDS [Guide]
- Good Practice Guide: Community-Based TB/HIV Integration
- A Guide for Planning and Implementing Social and Behavior Change Communication Activities for Postpartum Family Planning
- A Learning Package for Social and Behavior Change Communication (Um Pacote De Aprendizagem Sobre Comunicação Para A Mudança Social E De Comportamento)
- Designing for Behavior Change For Agriculture, Natural Resource Management, Health and Nutrition
March 25, 2019