Social Behavior Change for Family Planning [Curriculum]
Many maternal and child health programs want to add family planning (counseling, referrals or even services) into their programs. One way to get started is through social and behavior change. That means learning about the community’s family planning knowledge, attitudes and practices, and then creating strategies based on what is learned. Many health program and government staff would like to get the skills needed for this process—but time and resources are not available for a week(s) long training. This curriculum can share these useful skills without requiring a lot of time or resources.
It is designed to be used “off-the-shelf”—which means it is not necessary to bring in an outside trainer. A local staff person or team can use this guide to run a 2.5 day training course that teaches the basics of “designing for behavior change.” This can serve as an energizing starting point for addressing family planning by building skills and helping staff get started in social and behavior change. The concepts and tools can actually be applied to other topics as well, including maternal and child health, nutrition, infectious disease care and control, sanitation, and more. The steps involved include: 1. Understanding behavior change, 2. Developing a framework for a behavior change strategy, 3. Defining the priority group, 4. Learning more about the priority group, 5. Field testing a survey, 6. Planning a survey, 7. Analyzing data, 8. Developing a strategy, 9. Implementing a strategy, and 10. Assessing and adjusting a strategy.
- Designing for Behavior Change For Agriculture, Natural Resource Management, Health and Nutrition [Workshop Curriculum]
- A Field Guide to Designing a Health Communication Strategy
- JHU/CCP Pathways Models
- Making Content Meaningful: A Guide to Adapting Existing Global Health Content for Different Audiences
- Learning Package for SBCC Facilitator's Guide
- Social and Behavior Change Capacity Assessment Tool for Individuals [Facilitator's Guide and Assessment Tool]
- Social and Behavior Change Capacity Assessment Tool for Use with Organizations
- Social and Behavior Change Capacity Assessment Tool for Donors and Networks
- The P-Process
- Leadership in Strategic Communication: Making a Difference in Infectious Disease and Reproductive Health
February 27, 2020