Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision In-Service Communication Best Practices Guide
The specific objectives of the guide are to:
- Outline minimum essential ISC/C content across the VMMC service continuum in a user-friendly format.
- Update content based on new evidence and changes in VMMC programming and policies.
- Complement existing PEPFAR and host country government materials.
- Further strengthen existing materials through cross-checking content.
- Ensure that future ISC/C materials and resources (job aides and training resources) address the comprehensive VMMC and HIV prevention information needs of the programs’ intended audiences.
Intended users of this guide include VMMC program managers, site managers, nurses, counselors and those charged with developing communication materials.
The guide is organized in the following sections:
- VMMC Service Continuum—follows the client through each stage of the VMMC process, outlining key objectives, recommendations and core content.
- Communication Techniques—focuses on effective techniques.
- Tailoring Communication for Adolescents—highlights considerations for doing so.
- Device Methods—intended for those sites where a WHO-prequalified device (PrePex) is offered as a circumcision method, featuring recommendations, information and core content that is specific to the device.
- Mitigating Risk of Tetanus—highlights the key counseling content around tetanus at each phase of the VMMC service continuum.
- Improving the Quality of ISC/C—looks at improving the quality of ISC/C.
- Summary—highlights the main topic areas featured in each phase of the counseling process.
- Appendix—features examples of best practice materials related to ISC/C, developed by PEPFAR implementing partners.Counse
More Promoting Sexual and Reproductive Health Products and Services for Men resources
- Comprehensive Condom Programming A guide for resource mobilization and country programming
- Quick Guide to Vasectomy Counseling
- Men's Reproductive Health Curriculum
- Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision Infographic
- Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC): Demand Creation Toolkit
- No-Scalpel Vasectomy Curriculum
- A Guide to Identifying and Documenting Best Practices in Family Planning Programmes
- How to Create Successful Vasectomy Programs
- Engaging Men and Boys in Gender Equality and Health Toolkit
- Program H: Working with Young Men
March 25, 2019