Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Improvement Training Package for the Prevention of Diarrheal Disease
The Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Improvement Training Package is intended to support the training of local outreach workers and their subsequent work in communities to promote improved water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) practices to reduce diarrhea.
The Training Package consists of three separate parts:
- A step-by-step Guide for Training Outreach Workers
- An Outreach Worker’s Handbook for community outreach workers to use during and after training
- A Collection of Resource Materials to use as a source for visual aids
These materials provide information for organizations worldwide that seek to add WASH activities to their current programs or to start a diarrhea reduction program.
The communication kit consists of three parts:
- A training guide for outreach workers
- A handbook for health workers
- A collection of resource materials highlighting various topics:
- Module 1: Introductory Activities encompasses introductory material and activities in Session 5: Contamination Cycle.
- Module 2: Making Water Safe to Drink covers Session 1: Pretreatment, Session 2: Chlorination, Session 3: Boiling Water, Session 4: SODIS Method, Session 5: Filtration, Session 6: Transporting, Storing, and Retrieving Water, and Session 8: Water Synthesis.
- Module 3: Hand Washing covers Session 1: How to Wash Our Hands, Session 2: When to Wash Our Hands, Session 4: Building a Tippy Tap, and Session 5: Hand Washing Synthesis.
- Module 4: Handling Feces covers Session 1: The Fecal-Oral Route, Session 2: Proper Feces Disposal, and Session 3: Latrine Basics.
- Module 5: Interpersonal Communication covers Session 1: Interpersonal Communication for Improved Practices, Session 2: Using Discussion Tools and Facilitating Joint Planning, and Session 3: Opportunities/Techniques for Hygiene Promotion.
- Module 7: Tracking Progress covers Session 1: Using Tools to Track and Report Progress.
Last modified: July 23, 2021