Comprehensive Sexuality Education to Address Gender-based Violence
The COVID-19 pandemic has unmasked underlying inequities. Measures such as lockdown and physical distancing have confined many people to isolated, unsafe places that may increase risk of gender-based violence (GBV).
f lockdowns or restricted movement continue for just a year, it is estimated there will be 61 million more cases of GBV than what would have already been expected In response to this increase, UN Women launched the Shadow Pandemic public awareness campaign in May, 2020.2 Meanwhile, the UN Secretary-General has called for countries to include GBV prevention as a component of COVID-19 recovery plans.
UN Women emphasises vital national responses to address violence against women and girls (VAWG) throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, and these responses could serve as useful entry points for comprehensive sexuality education (CSE) provision in the Arab region. VAWG regional responses include provision of shelters, telephone hotlines, and online counselling; strong messaging from law enforcement that violence against women and girls (VAWG) cases are high priority; and psychological support for women and girls, GBV survivors, and front-line health workers affected by both the COVID-19 and shadow pandemics.
- COVID-19: Resources to Address Gender-based Violence Risks
- Identifying & Mitigating Gender-based Violence Risks within the COVID-19 Response
- COVID-19: The Gendered Impacts of the Outbreak
- Gender and COVID-19 Research Project
- Minimum Standards for Prevention and Response to Gender-Based Violence in Emergencies
- Taking Action to increase Gender Equality- Guidance Supplement: Gender Indicators
- Gender-based Violence Prevention, Risk Mitigation and Response during COVID-19
- Global Rapid Gender Analysis for COVID-19
- Infographic: The Shadow Pandemic- Violence Against Women and Girls and COVID-19
- Millions More Cases of Violence, Child Marriage, Female Genital Mutilation, Unintended Pregnancy Expected due to the COVID-19 Pandemic
July 21, 2020