COVID-19 Vaccination Communication
This report, which was developed in consultation with leading experts in social and behavioral sciences and public health, outlines evidence-informed communication strategies in support of national COVID-19 vaccine distribution efforts across federal agencies and their state and local partners.
The recommendations put forth are actionable and responsive to the unique challenges faced by the United States in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The report relies on a few foundational practices of effective health communication:
- Coordinated communication and consistent messaging
- Trust building through partnerships
- Consideration of different health literacy levels in the population
- Prioritizing equity in all aspects of communication
The authors build on these foundational principles to outline three intersecting considerations for communication efforts”
- What is being communicated
- Who is the target of the message
- How the message is communicated
The authors also add concrete recommendations for targeted and tailored communication that responds to the needs and perspectives of the intended audience.
Last modified: January 12, 2021