Fake Covid Videos 'Will Cost Lives'
The Royal College of Physicians is urging people not to share "copycat" and "dangerous" videos claiming steam inhalation can prevent Covid-19. The BBC has found that alternative coronavirus treatments are being sent on chat apps like WhatsApp, as well as being widely available on social media.
BBC reporter Sima Kotecha has tracked the origins of one of these false videos to the state of Gujarat in India.
- Actions to Support Media, Enhance Access to Information, and Leverage Digital Technologies in the Fight Against the Pandemic
- Coronavirus: The Human Cost of Virus Misinformation
- Fake News Can Be Deadly. Here's How to Spot It
- An Exploration of How Fake News is Taking over Social Media and Putting Public Health at Risk
- Tools to Support Journalists and Newsrooms during COVID-19
- Handbook for Media: the Coronavirus and COVID-19
- Immunizing the Public against Misinformation
- YouTube as a Source of Information on COVID-19: A Pandemic of Misinformation?
- Internews COVID-19 Microsite
- COVID-19 in Africa: Fighting Fake News about Coronavirus
February 23, 2021