Transforming the Private Sector to Support Universal Malaria Diagnostic Coverage
This brief identifies ten lessons learned on how to stimulate a private-sector market for malaria diagnostics using evidence and experience from three intervention countries where Population Services International lead implementation: Kenya, Madagascar, and Tanzania.
It comes out of a three-year project between 2013 and 2016 to increase the uptake of quality-assured mRDTs in private-sector markets in Kenya, Madagascar, Nigeria, Tanzania, and Uganda. Despite significant reductions in malaria in endemic countries over the past decade, fever is still often equated with malaria, leading to overuse of artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT), the frontline treatment for malaria, and to mismanagement of other potentially life-threatening nonfebrile illnesses.
Designed as the largest operations research project in fever case management (FCM) globally, the UNITAID-funded project generated evidence and lessons learned on how to stimulate a private-sector market for mRDTs. Over 44 studies were conducted by three partners, and routine monitoring systems collected data from 3,400 enrolled outlets, ranging from hospital clinics to pharmacies to drug shops.
This brief outlines 10 lessons learned from this project, and calls to action as a result of the work.
- Community Communication MNCH e-Manual: Participatory Health Promotion Sessions
- How to Improve Access to Malaria Treatment in the Private Sector [Webinar]
- CDC’s Guiding Principles for Public-Private Partnerships: A Tool to Support Engagement to Achieve Public Health Goals
- Models of University Engagement with Practice
- How Businesses Can Invest in Women and Realize Returns
- Engaging the Private Sector in Maternal and Neonatal Health in Low and Middle Income Countries
- Promoting Quality Malaria Medicines Through SBCC: An Implementation Kit
- Private Sector Engagement Policy
- A Field Guide to Designing a Health Communication Strategy
- The Malaria Safe PLAYBOOK: A Resource Guide in the Fight against Malaria
- Strategic Purchasing of Family Planning Services from Private Sector Providers by the Government of India: A Model of Accelerating Universal Health Coverage
- Malaria-themed Radio Magazine Program
- Aménagement CCSC utilisant AMT en Côte d'Ivoire/ SBCC Landscaping using TMA in Cote d'Ivoire
- Your Child's Health Depends on You
- Provider Training Video
March 25, 2019