Reaching Young Women and First-Time Moms with Friendly, Lifesaving Services in Madagascar
This article describes a project in Madagascar to reach first time young parents.
With funding from the United States Agency for International Development’s flagship Maternal and Child Survival Program (MCSP), in partnership with several ministries led by the Ministry of Health such as Education, Communication, Youth, and Population, MCSP launched Tanora Mitsinjo Taranaka (Young people looking after their legacy”) or TMT. Building on MCSP’s success in increasing access to family planning services in Madagascar, the initiative is designed to reach first-time, young parents, both mothers and fathers, in Morondava and Miandrivazo districts in Menabe region, and those who influence them.
Since TMT started in May 2017, the initiative has empowered 75 community health workers and 32 health providers with skills and confidence to provide friendly adolescent sexual and reproductive health services and to encourage first-time parents to use those services
Source: MCS Program
Date of Publication: June 10, 2020
- “Because my Husband and I Have Never Had a Baby Before…” Results and Lessons from Interventions with First-Time Parents in Madagascar, Mozambique, and Nigeria
- Reaching the Youngest Moms and Dads: A Socio-Ecological View of Actors and Factors Influencing First-time Young Parents’ Use of Sexual and Reproductive Health Services in Madagascar
- Factors Impacting Use of Health Services by First-time/Young parents: A Formative Research Toolkit
- Training Tools: Providing Family Planning and Reproductive Health to Young Married Women and First-Time Parents in West Africa
- Lessons Learned from an Integrated Approach for Reaching First-time Young Parents in Nigeria
- Scaling-Up First-Time and Young Parent Access to Postpartum Family Planning: Could Small Shifts Change the Game?
- Beyond the ABCs of FTPs: A Deep Dive into Emerging Considerations for First Time Parent Programs
- Evidence to Action (E2A) Project's First-Time Parent Framework
- First Time Parents
- Connect: Increasing Use of Pospartum Family Planning by First-Time Parents
- REAL Fathers Initiative
- Reaching the Youngest Mothers to Save Lives
- Our First Baby: Health Education for Adolescents Who are Pregnant or First-Time Parents
- Improving Family Planning Outcomes for First-Time Parents in the Greater Mahale Ecosystem of Tanzania (Brief)
- Reaching Young Married Women & First-Time Parents for Healthy Timing and Spacing of Pregnancies