What Does it Mean to Engage the Public in the Response to Covid-19?
"Public engagement is particularly important during the covid-19 pandemic when the effectiveness of measures such as masking, social distancing, and vaccination requires cooperation and trust across all sectors of society."
However, as with previous calls for public engagement, the meaning of “engagement” and its practical implications for Covid-19 response and recovery are complex and at times confusing and unclear.
The authors of this article examine the different types of demands found in calls for public engagement in pandemic decision making and explain how to meet them. They focus on the responsibilities of governments because their decisions have far reaching social consequences, but institutions such as hospital systems, schools, corporations, and universities also make decisions that profoundly affect the communities they serve and should engage affected communities in their decision making.
- Actions to Support Media, Enhance Access to Information, and Leverage Digital Technologies in the Fight Against the Pandemic
- What Does it Mean to Leave No One Behind? A United Nations Development Programme Discussion Paper and Framework for Implementation
- Active Case Finding with Case Management: the Key to Tackling the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Gender and COVID-19 Research Project
- Three Lessons from the Global South on Combating the Pandemic
- How to Support Displaced Populations' Mental Health during Lockdown
- Gender-based Violence Prevention, Risk Mitigation and Response during COVID-19
- Pandemics and Violence Against Women and Children
- The Public’s Role in COVID-19 Vaccination: Planning Recommendations Informed by Design Thinking and the Social, Behavioral, and Communication Sciences
- COVID-19: Emerging Gender Data and Why it Matters
- USAID’s Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic in Burkina Faso – Issue 1 / USAID dans la riposte face à la COVID-19 au Burkina Faso
- A Coordinated Public-Private Sector Response in Liberia to COVID-19
- Atelier d’évaluation et de ré-planification du plan d’action opérationnel intégré de la communication de risque 2020
- COVID-19 Kenya- Knowledge Sharing Tracker
- COVID-19 Kenya- Media Coverage Tracker
June 1, 2021