Preventing School-Related Gender-Based Violence: Classroom Rules
Communication and training materials were developed for an intervention to prevent and mitigate school-related, gender-based violence (SRGBV) in Katanga Province, DRC. The materials included codes of conduct, a life skills curriculum for students, and a training curriculum for teachers, comic books for SRGBV youth clubs, findings from qualitative and quantitative research that provided the evidence for the intervention, and translated and adapted versions of USAID’s Doorways I and III Safe Schools curricula. The intervention was implemented in 31 schools.
The project aimed to equip girls and boys ages 10–14 to resist, avoid, and report incidences of SRGBV and receive supportive services. At the same time, the intervention built the ability of administrators, teachers, SRGBV focal persons in schools, and parents to identify and discourage SRGBV and intervene, if incidences occur. Healthy gender norms were also promoted.
These cards provide rules of the classroom relating to politeness, listening to others, and respect of people and property. They are printed in French, which is the language in which students are taught.
Source: FHI 360
Date of Publication: March 25, 2019
- Girl Safety Toolkit: A Resource for Practitioners
- Teacher Training Manual on Gender-Based Violence Prevention and Response: Doorways III
- Student Training Manual on School-Related Gender-Based Violence Prevention and Response- Doorways I
- Gender-based Violence Prevention, Risk Mitigation and Response during COVID-19
- COVID-19: Resources to Address Gender-based Violence Risks
- COVID-19 Exposes the Harsh Realities of Gender Inequality in Slums
- Minimum Standards for Prevention and Response to Gender-Based Violence in Emergencies
- COVID-19: Emerging Gender Data and Why it Matters
- Identifying & Mitigating Gender-based Violence Risks within the COVID-19 Response
- Technical Brief: Integrating Gender in the COVID-19 Response
- Preventing School-Related Gender-Based Violence: Radio Spot 2 [DRC]
- Preventing School-Related Gender-Based Violence: Comic Books [DRC]
- Preventing School-Related Gender-Based Violence: Bleu Blanc Magazine [DRC]
- Preventing School-Related Gender-Based Violence: Radio Spot 1 [DRC]
- Preventing School-Related Gender-Based Violence: Radio Spot 3 [DRC]