An Action Guide for Gender Equality in National HIV Plans: Catalyzing Change through Evidence-Based Advocacy
From 2009 to 2011, ICRW collaborated with government, civil society, and donor organizations in Uganda and Cambodia to do the following:
• Identify strengths and gaps in how these two countries’ national strategies, policies and action plans address gender inequality as a social driver of HIV;
• Collaborate with government, civil society, and donor stakeholders to generate and advocate for practical solutions to improve gender-responsiveness of national HIV strategies, policies, and action plans; and
• Develop and disseminate tools so this process can be replicated in other countries.
The project also mobilized a group of advocates in both countries who will continue the work started through this project to ensure the national HIV response accounts for gender norms that are driving the epidemic. In this document the authors describe how the project unfolded in each country and share lessons learned that can inform others who would like to undertake similar efforts. They describe how to identify partners and collaborators, conduct a gender assessment of the current HIV policy and program environment, use the assessment findings to create recommendations, create communications and advocacy plans to feed the recommendations into policy formation, and plan for sustained national gender and HIV efforts.
The document also offers some tools to enable others to replicate a similar process in other countries.
- Ajustement à bases factuelles des mesures de santé publique et des mesures sociales / Evidence-based Adjustment of Public Health and Social Measures
- Community Communication MNCH e-Manual: Participatory Health Promotion Sessions
- Birth Spacing and Family Welfare Sermons
- Advocating for Change for Adolescents’ Toolkit
- Creating Mobile Health Solutions for Behaviour Change: A Study of Eight Services in the mNutrition Initiative Portfolio
- Online Training Series on Evidence-Based Malaria Social & Behavior Change Communication
- Using Data to Design an Evidence-based Social and Behavior Change Program in Rural Nepal
- Taking Action to increase Gender Equality- Guidance Supplement: Gender Indicators
- How Should Community Health Workers in Fragile Contexts be Supported: Qualitative Evidence from Sierra Leone, Liberia and Democratic Republic of Congo
- Driving the HIV response: Community Guide to the WHO 2013 Consolidated Guidelines on the Use of Antiretroviral Drugs for Treating and Preventing HIV Infection
- Understanding and Challenging Stigma Towards Men Who Have Sex With Men: Toolkit for Action
- Family Planning IPC Guide
- Saving Women's Lives Through Family Planning/Childbirth Spacing in Edo State: Role of Religious Leaders
- Saving Women’s Lives Through Family Planning / Child Birth Spacing in Edo State: The Role of Traditional and Community Leaders
- Enjoy Life ICCM [Posters]