Overcoming COVID Myths and Fears in Malawi
This article describes the effects of a UN-supported system of emergency care centers to care for COVID-19 patients in Malawi, a country where many do not receive proper medical care due to their distance from medical facilities.
Centers were established at several rural hospitals across Malawi’s 28 districts, bringing COVID-19 healthcare closer to rural people who constitute 80 per cent of the population.
The UN also equipped 1,800 health workers with COVID-19 training and personal protective equipment (PPE). It has been regularly reaching over 14 million people with messages encouraging prevention and access to treatment for those who do not feel well. A network of volunteers from over 300 community-based organisations – together with community radio stations, community leaders, a toll free line, and mobile phone messages sent through a dedicated platform – are used to communicate with people in remote parts of Malawi about the dangers of COVID-19 and the benefits of vaccination.
Source: UN News
Date of Publication: May 4, 2021
- KAP COVID: Exploring Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices for COVID-19 Prevention
- Fighting an Epidemic of Misinformation: The Importance of Science and Learning in Dealing with Coronavirus
- Innoculating against COVID-19 Vaccine Misinformation
- COVID-19 Vaccine Perceptions: A 15 Country Study
- Practical Guidance for Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) for Refugees, Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), Migrants, and Host Communities Particularly Vulnerable to COVID-19 Pandemic
- Actions to Support Media, Enhance Access to Information, and Leverage Digital Technologies in the Fight Against the Pandemic
- Building Trust while Influencing Online COVID-19 Content in the Social Media World
- Three Lessons from the Global South on Combating the Pandemic
- Types, Sources, and Claims of COVID-19 Misinformation
- The Covid-19 Infodemic — Applying the Epidemiologic Model to Counter Misinformation
- Angola Red Cross Volunteers Faced with Fears and Myths in Rural Areas
- COVID-19 Kenya - Media Coverage Tracker
- COVID-19 Kenya - Knowledge Sharing Tracker
- Can Technology Increase COVID-19 Vaccination Rates?
- Guide for the Preparation of a Risk Communication Strategy for COVID-19 Vaccines: A Resource for the Countries of the Americas