The Balanced Counseling Strategy Plus [Toolkit]
In response to the need to incorporate counseling, screening, and services for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including HIV, within routine family planning consultations in settings characterized by high prevalence of these infections, the Balanced Counseling Strategy (BCS) , developed in 2008, was revised to integrate STI/HIV prevention counseling, risk assessment, and HIV counseling and testing (HCT). The resulting Balanced Counseling Strategy Plus (BCS+) toolkit improves the quality of the family planning service and enables providers to address clients’ needs related to STIs and HIV during the same consultation.
This toolkit is an interactive, client-friendly approach for improving counseling and was tested in Kenya and South Africa.
Included in this tookit are users guides, counseling cards, job aids, methods brochures, and a trainer’s guide.
Source: Population Council
Date of Publication: March 25, 2019
- Joint WHO/ILO Guidelines on Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) to Prevent HIV Infection
- Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in HIV-1-Infected Adults and Adolescents
- Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV Infection in Infants and Children: Recommendations for a Public Health Approach
- Interpersonal Communication for Immunization (IPC-I)
- Guidance for Providing Informed-Choice Counseling on Sexual Health for Women Interested in PrEP: Kenya and South Africa
- IPC for Immunization Toolkit
- Family Planning Discussion Topics for Voluntary Counseling and Testing
- The Essential Package: Holistically Addressing the Needs of Young Vulnerable Children and Their Caregivers Affected by HIV and AIDS
- Communicating Benefits, Risks and Uncertainties in a Non-judgmental and Unbiased Way
- Guidance for the Prevention of Sexually Transmitted HIV Infections
- The Balanced Counseling Strategy: A Toolkit for Family Planning Service Providers
- HIV/STI Flipchart
- Initiation of and Adherence to Treatment as Prevention
- Planting Our Tree of Hope: A Toolkit on Positive Prevention for People Living with HIV - Flipchart
- Key Tips for the Prevention of Zika, Dengue and Chikungunya: A Guide for Home Visits