Empowering Boys and Girls to Change Gender Norms: CHOICES: A Curriculum for 10 to 14 Year Olds in Nepal
The CHOICES curriculum is designed to help change well-established gender-related attitudes and behavior.
The intervention aims to improve the lives of young girls and women and to help girls feel more respected and empowered to achieve their dreams. The curriculum revolves around eight participatory age- and developmentally-appropriate activities to promote dialogue around respect, communication, fairness and dreams for the future between boys and girls. It explores the themes of gender inequity and power, identifying small actions that can promote gender equity and respect and empower girls.
The results of the CHOICES evaluation clearly show that CHOICES was effective in creating a shift toward more gender-equitable norms in terms of household and school roles and responsibilities among young girls and boys. Included here are the CHOICES curriculum and a brief describing the curriculum and the results of its evaluation.
Source: Save the Children
Date of Publication: November 30, 2020
- Community Communication MNCH e-Manual: Participatory Health Promotion Sessions
- Engager les Communautes pour explorer les normes sociales - Engaging Communities in Exploring Social Norms: Learnings from the Social Norms Exploration Tool
- My Safety, My Wellbeing: Equipping Adolescent Girls with Key Knowledge and Skills to Help them to Mitigate, Prevent and Respond to GBV
- Love, Children and Family Planning: Seven Discussion Guides for Christian Small Groups
- Girl Safety Toolkit: A Resource for Practitioners
- Reproductive Health Lessons: A Supplemental Curriculum for Young People
- Positive Connections: Leading Information and Support Groups for Adolescents Living with HIV
- GESI Toolkit
- Economic Empowerment: A Potential Pathway for Women and Girls to Gain Control Over Their Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Girl-Centered Program Design: A Toolkit to Develop, Strengthen and Expand Adolescent Girls Programs