The Faith Effect: A Facilitator Manual to Train Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church (EOTC) Faith Leaders
This manual has been created to guide trainers in equipping faith leaders to address the harmful traditional practices (HTPs) of female genital cutting (FGC) and early marriage (EM) with their congregants. As such, the manual has been tailored to meet the unique and appropriate needs of Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church (EOTC) faith leaders. (A second guide, identical in content but theologically adjusted, has been created for Ethiopian Muslim faith leaders.) These sessions have been carefully designed to guide faith leaders through sensitive material and discussions, so that they can effectively support their congregants in healthy decision-making regarding FGC and EM. The sessions of this Facilitator Training Manual focus on achieving the following goals among participating faith leaders by the end of the trainings:
• Faith leaders will have a substantial understanding of the sociocultural, policy, health and theological underpinnings of EM and FGC.
• Faith leaders will adopt the necessary knowledge to improve the health of women by spreading awareness of the dangerous effects of EM and FGC.
• Empowered faith leaders and their congregations will be equipped to start dialogues and activities that result in a stronger network of Ethiopians who care for the health of their young girls and women.
This Facilitator Training Manual is specifically designed to educate faith leaders and mobilize them to be advocates for girls/women by addressing the negative effects of early marriage and female genital cutting with their congregation and community.
Source: Center for Interfaith Action (CIFA)
Date of Publication: December 22, 2019
- Early Estimates of the Indirect Effects of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Maternal and Child Mortality in Low-income and Middle-income Countries: a Modelling Study
- Birth Spacing and Family Welfare Sermons
- The Facilitation Primer
- Social and Behavior Communication Change (SBCC) Implementation Kit to Support Faith-Based Organization Breastfeeding Interventions
- Safe Ramadan Practices in the Context of the COVID-19: Interim Guidance
- Translators without Borders Glossary for COVID-19
- Technical Brief: Socially Marginalized Groups and COVID-19
- Practical Considerations and Recommendations for Religious Leaders and Faith-based Communities in the Context of COVID-19
- The REPLACE Approach: Supporting Communities to End FGM
- Guidance for Including People with Disabilities in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic
- The Faith Effect: A Facilitator Manual to Train Muslim Faith Leaders
- Early Marriage and Female Genital Cutting - Ethiopian Orthodox Church Faith Leader Toolkit
- Religious Leaders Engagement - Training Guide
- Religious Leaders Engagement - Pocket Guide
- Mobilizing Muslim Religious Leaders for Reproductive Health and Family Planning at the Community Level: A Training Manual