Transforming Masculinities is an evidence-based approach used in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR) to promote gender equality and positive masculinities within faith communities.
This approach is based upon the understanding that spiritual beliefs and faith leaders are part of the structure that shapes social and gender norms, and focuses on prevention and response to sexual and gender-based violence.
Known locally as Masculinité, Famille, et Foi, the intervention adapts the Transforming Masculinities approach to include reflection on normative environments and the acceptability of family planning. It consists of a series of trainings, group discussions called ‘community dialogues,’ and diffusion activities that guide faith leaders, young couples, and congregations to identify, create, and embrace positive masculine identities and gender-equitable behaviors.
In addition, an enabling service environment provides a foundation of high-quality, youth-friendly health services across both experimental and control sites. Working with newly married couples and first-time parents, the intervention encourages reflection, dialogue, and action to build norms that condemn violence and enable access to family planning services.
More Trending Topic Gender resources
- Birth Spacing and Family Welfare Sermons
- Transforming Inequalities, Transforming Lives
- Tackling the Taboo: Sexuality and Gender-Transformative Programmes to End Chlld, Early, and Forced Marriage and Unions
- Engaging Men and Boys: A Brief Summary of UNFPA Experience and Lessons Learned
- ALIGN Guide Toolkits: Programmes on Gender Norms and Masculinities
- African Transformation Toolkit
- Zika Virus Disease: Questions and Answers
- Community Communication MNCH e-Manual: Participatory Health Promotion Sessions
- Gender Transformation for Health A Participatory Toolkit
- Bringing the Community Together to Plan for Disease Outbreaks and Other Emergencies
- HIV Self-Test Kits in Barber Shops: Cote d'Ivoire
- Transformer les initiatives: Utiliser le continuum de genre pour comprendre le public cible / Transforming initiatives: Using the Gender Continuum to Understand the Target Audience
- Transform/PHARE activités brise-glace pour atelier de communication- Workshop Ice-breaker Activities
- RESEAUX TV Series [Cote d'Ivoire]
- Plan d'Action de Lutte Contre la Maladie a Virus Ebola en Cote d'Ivoire [Action Plan for Ebola Virus in Cote D'Ivoire]