Community Health Worker Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices towards COVID-19: Learnings from an Online Cross-sectional Survey using a Digital Health Platform, UpSCALE, in Mozambique
Community Health Workers (CHWs) in Mozambique are known locally as agentes polivalentes elementares (APEs). While technical guidance surrounding COVID-19 is available to support APEs, communicating this information has been challenging due to restrictions on travel, face-to-face group meetings and training, imposed from May to August 2020.
A digital health platform, upSCALE, is being used to support APEs on effective COVID-19 management by delivering COVID-19 sensitive SMS messages, training modules and a COVID-19 KAP survey.
The KAP survey, conducted from June 2020 to August 2020, consisted of 10 questions. Results indicate that only a small proportion of APEs listed the correct COVID-19 symptoms, transmission routes and appropriate prevention measures specifically included in national health education materials. Misconceptions were mainly related to transmission routes, high risk individuals and asymptomatic patients.
The results from the KAP survey were used to support the rapid development and deployment of targeted COVID-19 awareness and education materials for the APEs. A follow-up KAP survey is planned for November 2020. Adapting the existing upSCALE platform enabled a better understanding, in real time, of the KAP of APEs around COVID-19 management. Subsequently, supporting delivery of tailored messages and education, vital for ensuring a successful COVID-19 response.
- KAP COVID: Exploring Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices for COVID-19 Prevention
- Breaking Down COVID-19: The COVID-19 Living Textbook
- Practical Guidance for Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) for Refugees, Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), Migrants, and Host Communities Particularly Vulnerable to COVID-19 Pandemic
- COVID-19: Long Term Health Effects
- Community-Led Action (CLA) for COVID-19: A Field Manual for Community Mobilisers
- Early Impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic: Findings from the 2020 Guttmacher Survey of Reproductive Health Experiences
- COVID-19: Resources to Address Gender-based Violence Risks
- Maternal, Newborn, and Reproductive Health and COVID-19: Adaptations, Successes, Challenges, and Next Steps. An Expert Consultation
- Rapid Knowledge, Practices and Coverage (KPC) Survey Gender Module
- Vaccine Hesitancy and COVID-19: Considerations for Communication
- SHOPS Plus India Knowledge, Attitudes and Practice (KAP) Survey: Key Findings
- Schistosomiasis Situation in Uganda: A Review of Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices (KAP) associated with Schistosomiasis Infection and Prevention
- Programmatic Implications of Zika-Related Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices
- Covid-19: Rumours in the Camps
- Infographics for COVID-19: Prevention, Symptoms, Masks