Meena Comic Books and Videos
Meena is a cartoon character from South Asia, a spirited, nine-year-old girl who braves the world – whether in her efforts to go to school or in fighting the stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS in her village. Meena is widely recognised and appreciated in most South Asian countries, and is a successful advocacy and teaching tool for girls’ and children’s rights. The Meena figure has achieved popularity as she tackles the key issues affecting children, and the threats to the rights of millions of girls in South Asia.
UNICEF developed the Meena Communication Initiative (MCI) and it was launched in September 1998 as a mass communication project aimed at changing perceptions and behaviour that hamper the survival, protection and development of girls in South Asia. The stories revolve around the adventures of Meena, her brother Raju, her pet parrot Mithu, and members of her family and village community, and cover issues such as education, health, gender equity, freedom from exploitation and abuse.
The Meena Communication Package consists of:
• Comic books
• Animated films
• Discussion and teachers’ guides
• Radio series (produced in collaboration with BBC world service)
Date of Publication: September 30, 2021
- Child Marriage Theory of Change
- Child Marriage Facts and Figures
- Child Marriage Factsheets
- Lever les Tabous: La sexualité et les approches promouvant l’égalité des genres pour mettre fin aux unions et aux mariages d’enfants, précoces et forcés
- Girl-Centered Program Design: A Toolkit to Develop, Strengthen and Expand Adolescent Girls Programs
- Prioritizing and Targeting SBC Investments for Youth
- Child, Early, and Forced Marriage Resource Guide
- What does Child Marriage Mean for Girls?
- Solutions to End Child Marriage
- The Top 5 Things You Didn't Know About Child Marriage