Pata Tohara (“Get Circumcised!”) Radio Spots
In 2011, the Tanzania Communication and Capacity Project, TCCP), along with JHPIEGO, designed a campaign to increase the rate of voluntary male medical circumcision (VMMC).
The project aimed at sharing the following messages about VMMC:
- Relative advantage – why it is better than not being circumcised
- Compatibility – how VMMC fits with the lifestyles of each target audience, and is appropriate for both younger and older men
- Complexity – that VMMC is easy and safe
TCCP developed a new “age-aware” communication strategy that divided the primary target audience into two groups: one for boys and young men aged 10-19 years, and another for men age 20-34.
The chosen creative concept focused on a call to action – Pata Tohara (“Get Circumcised”), and highlighted the key benefits found to be most appealing to target audience members: circumcision provides protection and enhances
These radio spots were produced as part of the campaign.
Source: Johns Hopkins University Center for Communication Programs
Date of Publication: October 22, 2021
- Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC): Demand Creation Toolkit
- Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision Infographic
- VMMC Counseling Training Package
- Creative Concept Mockup Example
- Guidance for the Prevention of Sexually Transmitted HIV Infections
- Adolescent HIV Testing, Counselling and Care
- Treatment 2015
- Driving the HIV response: Community Guide to the WHO 2013 Consolidated Guidelines on the Use of Antiretroviral Drugs for Treating and Preventing HIV Infection
- Consolidated Guidelines on the Use of Antiretroviral Drugs for Treating and Preventing HIV Infection
- PrEP Communications Accelerator