Breakthrough ACTION Liberia Peri-Urban Water Study Report 2021
This technical report from a 2021 study on peri-urban water access, quality, and use in Montserrado county was conducted by the Johns Hopkins University Center for Communications Programs and Save the Children.
The primary objectives of the study were to:
- Deepen understanding of the drivers and barriers to household water source selection in peri-urban communities of Montserrado
- Explore households preferences and practices related to storage, treatment and use in peri-urban communities of Montserrado County
The main findings of this study are the following:
- A large proportion (63%) of the respondents from the three study sites have challenges securing the minimum quantity of water for daily use as outlined by WHO’s 20 liter/person/day minimum.
- Household access to improved water sources is relatively high, although water sources vary based on season, convenience, perceived water quality, and distance
- Despite close proximity to water sources, household water collection burdens are extremely high.
- Household water storage practices and sanitation practices create significant drinking water quality risks and affect household confidence in water quality
- Gender disparities in household water responsibilities remain high.
- Household access to safe and sufficient water resources is hampered by cost, convenience, and reliability of water systems.
Source: Johns Hopkins University Center for Communication Programs, Save the Children
Date of Publication: November 22, 2021
- Technical Brief: Socially Marginalized Groups and COVID-19
- WHO Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Strategy 2018-2025
- La Planification Familiale dans les Situations d'Urgence: Essentielle,, Voulue, Necessaire et Realisable
- Eight Principles for Strengthening Public Sector Social and Behavior Change Capacity
- The Added Value of Costing Social and Behavior Change Interventions
- Evidence to Inform Social and Behavior Change for Family Planning in Francophone West Africa
- Gender Integration in Social and Behavior Change: What Does it Take
- Documenting the Costs of Social Behavior Change Interventions for Health in Low- and Middle-income Countries
- Understanding the Costs of SBC Social Media Interventions
- Behavior-Centered Approaches to Improve Health Outcomes