Malaria Social and Behaviour Change during COVID-19 Case Study: Inside the Jungle, Cambodia
The COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc on malaria control and elimination efforts. Modeling predictions suggested the annual malaria death toll in sub-Saharan Africa could double because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The World Health Organization (WHO) urged countries not to scale back their planned malaria prevention, diagnostic, and treatment activities during the COVID-19 pandemic or the gains made in saving lives from malaria and other diseases over the past 20 years may be lost.
Malaria SBC programs had to think afresh and re-strategize to tackle new limitations to reach audiences and convince them to change their behaviors to prevent and manage malaria. Malaria SBC workers increased their efforts while also closely following COVID-19 guidelines.
The Cambodia case study reveals the benefits of long-term investments in community structures and the importance of local ownership and SBC capacity to reach the country’s hardest-to-reach communities.
Source: RBM Partnership to End Malaria Social and Behavior Change Working Group
Date of Publication: July 15, 2021
- Malaria Social and Behaviour Change during COVID-19 Case Study: Click, Share, Engage
- Malaria Social and Behaviour Change Program Guidance in the Context of COVID-19 Pandemic
- Measures to Ensure the Continuity of the Response to Malaria in the Americas during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Health-protective Behaviour, Social Media Usage and Conspiracy Belief during the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- Stigma during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Malaria Social and Behaviour Change during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Applying Principles of Behaviour Change to Reduce SARS-CoV-2 Transmission
- Gender-based Violence Prevention, Risk Mitigation and Response during COVID-19
- How to Support Displaced Populations' Mental Health during Lockdown
- Preventing Violence Against Women During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Malaria Social and Behaviour Change during COVID-19 Case Study: The Call of the Trumpet, Ethiopia
- Malaria Social and Behaviour Change during COVID-19 Case Study: The Mobile Classroom, Nigeria
- Talking to Community: Behavioural Change in the Age of COVID-19
- Children's and Caretakers' Animation Series on COVID-19
- Malaria-themed Radio Magazine Program