Partners in Progress: Innovating to Improve and Increase Male Engagement in Family Planning
To promote male engagement (ME) in family planning in Cote d’Ivoire and Burkina Faso, the Transform/PHARE project developed and piloted innovative approaches, including a Human Centered Design (HCD) project in Côte d’Ivoire focusing on men in the informal employment sector and an innovation lab in Burkina Faso aimed at increasing ME in FP.
These activities were designed to explore and address men and boys as users of contraceptive methods, supportive partners of FP use, decision makers, social influencers, and agents of change. The project piloted ME in FP approaches in order to increase modern contraceptive use, promote shared decision making between couples, stimulate conversations about the negative impacts of rigid gender roles, and actively address gender inequalities.
This “SPARK” page describes the project methodologies, explains how they were carried out, and includes evalution data.
Source: Population Services International
Date of Publication: May 5, 2020
- Birth Spacing and Family Welfare Sermons
- Innovation Brief: Translating Audience Segmentation Data into Family Planning Programmatic Action
- Innovation Brief: Engaging Influencers and Non-Traditional Actors in Participatory Processes for Family Planning Program Design
- Innovation Brief: Breaking Down Barriers to Family Planning Access by Engaging Agents of Change
- Innovation Brief: Identifying Power Dynamics Among Target Audiences and Influencers in the Project Design Process
- Advocating for Social and Behavior Change in Family Planning Programs: A Message Framework
- Informing Social and Behavior Change Programs using Social Listening and Social Monitoring
- Community Communication MNCH e-Manual: Participatory Health Promotion Sessions
- Lever les Tabous: La sexualité et les approches promouvant l’égalité des genres pour mettre fin aux unions et aux mariages d’enfants, précoces et forcés
- Plan Stratégique National de Plaidoyer en matière de lutte contre le Paludisme (PSNPP) en Côte d'Ivoire 2018-2023
- Innovation Brief: Applying the Human-Centered Design Approach
- Promoting Health – Adjusting the Reproductive Environment
- Guide d'utilisation du kit PBCC
- Innovation Brief: Leveraging Technology to Develop and Test Family Planning Mass Media Campaigns in Niger and Cote D’Ivoire
- Innovation Brief: The Importance of Segmentation and Tailoring Messages to Constructively Engage Men and Boys in Voluntary Family Planning