SBCC Strategy and Implementation Guide [Guatemala]
This guide and strategy was designed for the Western Highlands of Guatemala provides a general framework for communication that supports the implementation of the SBCC Strategy (implemented in 2011) by the Ministries of Health and Education, which encompasses nutrition, family planning, maternal and child health, and HIV. The Implementation Guide aims to facilitate systematic coordination of the Strategy at all levels by SBCC planners and the integration of health interventions using the life stage approach in homes and communities (young parents, mature families, children 6-13, and adolescents) as an organizing principle.
The overall purpose of the Implementation Guide is to ensure the coordination and synergy of SBCC in nutrition, maternal and child health, family planning, and HIV, ensuring that interventions are consistent and define a common measure of success. A convergence approach integrates USAID/Health and Education Office’s key health areas–nutrition, maternal child health, reproductive health, HIV–as they apply to people in each lifestage. The convergence approach is based on three principles–that the families and communities are the drivers of their health; that the SBCC strategy addresses environmental and structural issues, and that the systems in place to support healthy outcomes are strengthened. The implementation guide was extensively field tested by C-Change and is used in 30 municipalities in the Guatemalan Highlands.
The English and Spanish versions of the Strategy and Implementation Guide are combined in the PDF attached.
Source: FHI 360
Date of Publication: March 25, 2019
- Crisis and Outbreak Communication Pandemic Flu and Other Disasters
- SBCC for Malaria in Pregnancy: Strategy Development Guidance
- Social Franchising: Improving Quality and Expanding Contraceptive Choice in the Private Sector
- Promoting Quality Malaria Medicines Through SBCC: An Implementation Kit
- How Businesses Can Invest in Women and Realize Returns
- Engaging the Private Sector in Maternal and Neonatal Health in Low and Middle Income Countries
- CDC’s Guiding Principles for Public-Private Partnerships: A Tool to Support Engagement to Achieve Public Health Goals
- Desk Review of Programs Integrating Family Planning with Food Security and Nutrition
- Integrated Management Strategy for Dengue Prevention and Control
- Healthy People, Healthy Ecosystems: A Manual on Integrating Health and Family Planning into Conservation Projects
- Strategic Malaria Communication Guide for Central America
- Overarching Communication Strategy for Programs in Family Planning, Maternal Child Health, Nutrition, HIV/AIDS & Education in Guatemalan Western Highlands
- Evaluation of the Family Planning and Law Campaign
- Guide for the Preparation of a Risk Communication Strategy for COVID-19 Vaccines: A Resource for the Countries of the Americas
- Guide to Prevention and Control of Covid-19 in Services of Health