Choose Life: A Guide for Peer Educators and Youth Leaders
This guide was primarily designed for boys and girls aged 10-14 from rural and urban areas of Haiti, Kenya, Mozambique and Rwanda.
This guide is especially geared for peer educators, youth leaders and others working with groups of youth. The guide provides facilitators with games, discussion questions and notes on behavior change. The objective is to enable them to effectively address HIV/AIDS from a values-based perspective. Its 12 modular lessons are progressive, leading participants through the decision-making process that culminates in a commitment to abstinence. Stories run through the curriculum, following the lives of youth and their families dealing with issues such as self-image, peer pressure, temptation, sexual abuse and unwed pregnancy.
The interactive learning sessions in this guide are designed to help create a supportive and positive learning environment. This will allow dialogue about sexual behavior and make group members feel free to ask questions, communicate openly, challenge one another, clarify their values, express concerns, and grow in understanding of relationships with the opposite sex.
Through participatory learning using games, stories and role plays, youth will be encouraged to feel good about who they are, their bodies, their families and their friends. They will then be able to make good decisions, set goals, communicate with parents and friends, care for their bodies and be assertive. These are skills that lower their risk of HIV infection and sexual exploitation. Learning to maintain a healthy lifestyle will protect them throughout their lives.
Source: World Relief
Date of Publication: March 25, 2019
- Community Communication MNCH e-Manual: Participatory Health Promotion Sessions
- Creating Mobile Health Solutions for Behaviour Change: A Study of Eight Services in the mNutrition Initiative Portfolio
- Nutrition Social and Behavior Change Strategy Library
- Driving the HIV response: Community Guide to the WHO 2013 Consolidated Guidelines on the Use of Antiretroviral Drugs for Treating and Preventing HIV Infection
- FGM Infographics
- Coronavirus Disease Training Overview
- Coronavirus Disease Overview
- Advocating for Change for Adolescents’ Toolkit
- How-To Guide for a Social Network Diffusion Intervention to Overcome Social Barriers to Family Planning
- “Because my Husband and I Have Never Had a Baby Before…” Results and Lessons from Interventions with First-Time Parents in Madagascar, Mozambique, and Nigeria
- Go Students! School-Based Life Skills for Girls and Boys: A Teacher's Manual
- Go Girls! Community Success Stories
- Go Teachers! Creating a Safe and Supportive Environment for Girls at School: A Training Manual for School Personnel and Teachers
- Journey of Hope: A Practical Guide for Making Positive Life Choices - Haiti User's Guide
- Village Health Team Handbook