Get Circumcised. Know the Facts. SMS “MMC” to 43740
This resource is from the Brothers for Life campaign, which was launched in 2009. Brothers for Life is a national Men’s Campaign that seeks to improve the health and wellbeing of South African men, women and families by promoting combination HIV prevention, male sexual and reproductive health; positive male norms and values and responsible parenthood amongst men. This pamphlet explains male circumcision, outlines its health benefits, and tells what male circumcision does and does not accomplish.
The South Africa National Communication Survey 2012 Preliminary Results revealed that Scrutinize (another South African campaign, the materials for which are in the Health COMpass) reached about 70% and Brothers for Life reached about 60% of their intended population. Regarding condom use, it was also determined that both programs should continue to promote self-efficacy and positive attitudes toward condom use (as those shown in this presentation) as these have a positive net effect on condom use at last sex. Condom use promotion through community meetings and increasing community involvement also has a positive effect on condom use. The survey also revealed in regards to HIV testing that self-efficacy to request partner testing and discussion with sex partners about getting tested together has a positive net effect. Regarding, Multiple Sex Partners (MSP), neither program is having any direct effect on MSP but has a net positive effect on self-efficacy to avoid MSP. Both programs should continue to promote self-efficacy to avoid MSP but need to be careful not to increase attitudes that favor MSP. The evaluation of Scrutinize shows that this program increased favorable attitudes toward MSP. The Brothers for Life program did not have this negative effect
Source: Johns Hopkins Health and Education South Africa (JHHESA)
Date of Publication: March 25, 2019
- The ECHO Study Report
- HTSP 101: Everything You Want to Know About Healthy Timing and Spacing of Pregnancy
- Creating Mobile Health Solutions for Behaviour Change: A Study of Eight Services in the mNutrition Initiative Portfolio
- The Knowledge Translation Toolkit: Bridging the Know-Do Gap: A Resource for Researchers
- Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision In-Service Communication Best Practices Guide
- Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision Infographic
- Community Communication MNCH e-Manual: Participatory Health Promotion Sessions
- The Top 5 Things You Didn't Know About Child Marriage
- What to Know About Kawasaki Disease, the Pediatric Inflammatory Condition Possibly Linked to COVID-19
- We Know How to Curb the Pandemic. How Do We Make People Listen?