Maternal, Infant and Young Child Nutrition (MIYCN) Training / Facilitation Guide
Suaahara was a five year (2011-2016) project funded by USAID aimed to improve the nutritional status of women and children in 41 districts of Nepal. The project focused on improving health and nutrition behaviors at the household level through promotion of Essential Nutrition and Hygiene Actions (EN/HA), particularly Maternal, Infant and Young Child Nutrition (MIYCN), and addressing other determinants of under-nutrition, such as availability of and access to food, hygiene, quality of health care, child spacing and socio-cultural factors including gender and marginalization.
Suaahara was implemented by a consortium of partner organizations led by Save the Children.
The SBCC strategy established an internal quality materials review and production system to ensure that all partners in the consortium had mutually reinforcing, quality materials developed, pretested, produced and disseminated to the end user.
Suaahara developed this 6-day training or Facilitator’s Guidebook on Behavior Change Communication (BCC) to improve Maternal, Infant and Young Child Nutrition. It is also intended as a refresher and an aid in increasing the skill of female health community volunteers (FCHVs) through basic theory, micro level teaching and hands-on practice in a community-based Essential Nutrition and Hygiene Actions (ENA/EHA) Behaviour change Communication (BCC) approach. Inclued in the curriculum are sessions on nutrition, SBCC, breastfeeding, complementary feeding, sick child feeding, growht monitoring, nutrition during emergencies, and essential hygiene.
Source: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health/ Center for Communication Programs
Date of Publication: March 25, 2019
- Maternal Newborn Child Health - Nutrition Quality Improvement Tools
- Suaahara Training Guidelines and Participant Handbooks
- GESI Toolkit
- Suaahara Health Facility Operation and Management Committee Capacity Building Training and Operation Guidelines
- The REPLACE Approach: Supporting Communities to End FGM
- Community Communication MNCH e-Manual: Participatory Health Promotion Sessions
- SBCC for Malaria in Pregnancy: Strategy Development Guidance
- Maternal Infant and Young Child Nutrition and Family Planning (MIYCN-FP) Integration Toolkit
- Infant and Young Child Feeding Recommendations When COVID-19 is Suspected or Confirmed
- Entertainment-Education Curriculum