Sawa Sawa: A Community Dialogue Manual to Reduce Stigma
This training material is one of two materials produced for Sawa Sawa, an HIV programme implemented by the Health Communication Capacity Collaborative (HC3) in the Sofala Province of Mozambique. The program ran from January 2017 - December 2017, and sought to reduce stigma in communities in order to improve health seeking behaviors for HIV services, particularly among men.
The goal of this manual is to reduce community-level stigma and in doing so improve HIV testing, treatment initiation, and adherence outcomes among men in particular.
It is intended for facilitators to use this guide for small group discussions with community members to engage them in dialogue to address social norms, dispel myths and fears related to PLHIV, and develop plans to reduce stigma within their communities. A consistent message is woven throughout the small group sessions in the manual to remind participants that they are all “sawa sawa” (equal).
In addition, the program led "Positive Prevention" training - Sawa Sawa Positive Prevention.
More HIV stigma reduction resources
- Adolescents Living with HIV (ALHIV) Toolkit
- Toolkit for Transition of Care and Other Services for Adolescents Living with HIV
- Engaging Men in HIV and AIDS at the Service Delivery Level
- Positive Connections: Leading Information and Support Groups for Adolescents Living with HIV
- Optimizing Entry Into and Retention in HIV Care and ART Adherence for PLWHA
- Consolidated Guideline on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights of Women Living with HIV
- HIV-Related Stigma and Discrimination Toolkit
- Promoting the Health of Men who Have Sex with Men Worldwide: A Training Curriculum for Providers
- Driving the HIV response: Community Guide to the WHO 2013 Consolidated Guidelines on the Use of Antiretroviral Drugs for Treating and Preventing HIV Infection
- Addressing the Needs of Young People Living with HIV
- Sawa Sawa Positive Prevention
- Understanding and Challenging Stigma Towards Injecting Drug Users and HIV in Vietnam
- Planting Our Tree of Hope: A Toolkit on Positive Prevention for People Living with HIV- Flipchart
- Adolescents' HIV Prevention and Treatment Literacy Toolkit for Eastern and Southern Africa
- HIV/STI Flipchart