Can Mobile Phone Surveys Replace House-To-House Data Collection?
This brief describes an effort to use interactive voice recognition to assess media exposure and behaviors in Ghana.
- Assess trends in exposure to health communication messages among the project’s three Life Stage audiences
- Assess trends in behavioral determinants and behaviors
- Evaluate the feasibility and of collecting project monitoring and evaluation data via mobile phone
Communicate for Health found that mobile phone surveys using IVR random digit dial sampling is an alternative or supplemental data collection method for social and behavior change monitoring in low resource settings. In Ghana, Communicate for Health found that the methodology is suitable for reaching populations with high access to mobile phones, especially people 35 and younger, from urban or peri-urban areas, and males.
Date of Publication: January 9, 2020
- Creating Mobile Health Solutions for Behaviour Change: A Study of Eight Services in the mNutrition Initiative Portfolio
- Interactive Voice Response and Radio for Peacebuilding: A Macro View of the Literature and Experiences from the Field
- Why is IVR Important?
- mHealth Mobile Messaging Toolkit: Considerations When Selecting a Mobile Messaging Platform Vendor
- Do Your Own Survey: How to Collect Data on FGM
- Toolkit for Transition of Care and Other Services for Adolescents Living with HIV
- Community Pathways to Improved Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health: A Conceptual Framework and Suggested Outcome Indicators
- Collecting Data on Malaria in National Surveys
- Men's Reproductive Health Curriculum
- Prioritizing and Targeting SBC Investments for Youth
- Use of an Interactive Voice Response System to Deliver Refresher Training in Senegal: Findings from Pilot Implementation and Assessment
- Messages for Interactive Voice Response, Nigeria
- Project m-Maitri: Interactive Voice Response (IVR) for Parent-to-Child Transmission
- How Digital Health Platforms Connect Women to Maternal Health Services
- COVID-19 Interactive Voice Response Audio and Scripts