Shuga Television Series
This campaign reaches out to young people in Kenya with awareness and prevention information on HIV/AIDS. The HIV Prevention effort includes the MTV premiere of "Shuga," a fast-moving drama that focuses on the lives of several young adults and university students as they confront the realities of love, jobs, and their families.
Filmed in Nairobi, the series addresses sexual networks, multiple concurrent partnerships, substance abuse, and living with HIV, in the context of cultural norms. "Shuga" has an online component which features interviews with cast members who discuss issues addressed in the drama; a Q&A section with additional information on what youth should know; and blogs where youth can discuss issues and comment on a question of the week. In addition, the project includes radio programming that mirrors the TV drama; training for local broadcasters to strengthen capacity to produce local programming; and a training of trainers and educational toolkit for youth organizations carrying out peer education in communities vulnerable to HIV.
Originally shown in Kenya, the series began airing in Nigeria in January 2014, and will air in South Africa in 2017.
- Creating Mobile Health Solutions for Behaviour Change: A Study of Eight Services in the mNutrition Initiative Portfolio
- PrEP Communications Accelerator
- Positive Series: Art for U=U Campaigns
- Community Communication MNCH e-Manual: Participatory Health Promotion Sessions
- The mHealth Planning Guide: Key Considerations for Integrating Mobile Technology into Health Programs
- People Living with HIV Stigma Index
- Promoting Quality Malaria Medicines Through SBCC: An Implementation Kit
- Promoting Quality Malaria Medicine through Social and Behavior Change Communication
- SBCC Check-In: Quality Standards for SBCC